Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry:
- For the stir-fry:
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 2 green onions, sliced (both white and green parts)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for a gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (optional, for added flavor)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (for stir-frying)
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients: 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup (or honey), 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set the sauce aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the hot oil and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the sliced carrots and broccoli florets to the skillet. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
Add the sliced red bell pepper, zucchini, and snow peas (or sugar snap peas) to the skillet. Continue stir-frying for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to the empty space. Cook the chickpeas for 1-2 minutes until they are heated through.
Stir the vegetables and chickpeas together in the skillet. Pour the prepared sauce over the stir-fry and toss everything together to coat the vegetables and chickpeas evenly.
Add the sliced green onions to the stir-fry and give it a final toss to incorporate the flavors.
Remove the skillet from heat and taste the stir-fry. Adjust the seasoning as needed by adding more soy sauce, salt, or red pepper flakes to suit your taste.
Serve the Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry over cooked brown rice, quinoa, or your favorite whole grain. Garnish with additional sliced green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
This Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry is not only rich in plant-based protein and fiber but also packed with a variety of colorful vegetables, providing essential vitamins and minerals. Enjoy this delicious and healthy dish!